This class will offer guided hiking in parks and nature preserves throughout Long Island. Students will receive instruction in basic photography skills utilizing interchangeable cell phone camera lenses. Participants will learn basic hiking skills and techniques including navigating a trail map, rhythm and flow, keeping a pace, stretching, and tips for nutrition and hydration. Mindfulness practices will be incorporated throughout the class to teach participants how to be present in the moment and have a deeper sense of connection with their natural surroundings.
Due to safety precautions for COVID 19, camera sharing will not be possible at this time. Students may use their cell phones and/or their own personal cameras. A variety of cell phone camera lens attachments will be provided, including a telephoto zoom lens to magnify long distant subjects, 198° Fisheye lens to create unique circular effects, 15x Macro lens to shoot flowers, insects, and small objects, and 120° Wide Angle lens to capture landscape scenery.
· Each student will be provided with a variety of professional camera lenses to use during the class.
· Photographs taken during the class will be available to view and post on a private Nature Photography and Guided Hiking Facebook group.
· All students will be provided direct instruction to increase their photography skills.
· Each weekly class will meet at a different park. Participants will be asked to commit to at least three sessions to build on skills.
· Small group rate $100 per 90-min. session (Plus park fees if applicable)
· Open to people of all abilities - no prior photographic knowledge or experience is needed.
Attendees must register in advance.
There is no class on 6/19 and 6/21.
Saturday June 26: Frank Melville Park
Monday June 28: Sweetbriar Nature Center